Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Spring in Tehran- Part II

About the casualties, Iran Body Count states:" Military deaths in this first wave of attacks against Iran would be expected to be in the thousands, especially with attacks on air bases and Revolutionary Guard facilities. Civilian deaths would be in the many hundreds at least…". That's clear that Iran is not going to sit soundly if such attacks happen. In a speech in a conference on Qods held recently in Tehran, Khamenei, explicitly stated that in that case, the battle field would be much bigger than the country itself. Iran Body Count mentions one by one, the probable responds Iran may take to pick. To me, that's totally understandable. Just one way is left for Americans to choose to stop the possible retaliations: nuking Iran that strongly that the regime is toppled just instantly. It means, the bombing should be terribly heavy. Can it be ever imagined of such an air strike less than a total human catastrophe? Using nuclear bombs against the targets would end to killing thousands of civilians, that's for sure. So, how they really want to take their actions?

It's a habit of me to speak to the people randomly just to see what they say. In the Park I did the same. I spoke to some old men. These kinds of old men are very familiar to me. I used to walk the same park a few years ago every day in the morning to my work. I could see them sitting here and there, exchanging news and chatting. Their source of news is usually BBC, VOA and satellite channels based in LA by Iranian exiled opponents. They usually are against the policies of the system, because being retired, they face the hardships of life stronger than other people. They usually survive on a few hundred dollars they receive after long years of work as the pension. Exchanging a smile with them, I could have them speak their views. I said:" Ha, what you feel? You think is it good we are promised to have nukes soon?" (The hardliner president had given us tiding to give 'good news' within a few days and everybody could guess what the news was going to be). They said in harmony:" Yes, yes, why not?". I smiled again and continued:" Wow, you don't feel scared of a war or air strikes by Americans?" One of them answered furiously (as if I was Condi) :" We don’t give them a damn shit! Let them first fix the mess they have made already in Iraq ….". I could read in the faces of others the same feelings.
In another chat with two old women the same afternoon, one of them said:" Yes, it's our absolute right to have the nuclear energy and it's just our business. Who has given any right to the West to comment on this issue?". Mockingly she continued:" A small country like Israel has it, but we with this big population, ancient history and culture shouldn't have it?"
The same words I have heard over and over again these days. The words are the same, the mouths are different. You can't believe how strongly the people back the regime on this issue. Well, my country fellows are unpredictable but as far as I can see, they are ready to withstand any invasion or attack apart from whatever the price it might have. This means that the plans Americans have can not be just targeting the regime, it is going to kill civilians in thousands.

On the news I read horrible news about Iraq. In Iraqi blogs I read words of horror and despair. Just a few years ago, they faced a domestic tyranny. But now, hundreds of thousands of people face hundreds of dangers on their way. Just to imagine how close can we be to the same condition, freezes my blood. I hope it never would happen to us, because this country is too beautiful, this people are too humble and nice. That would be a pity if….

I look around and try to live the moments fully and thoroughly. I feel like a fanatic superstitious old woman to think:" Why this spring is this beautiful? Is it because it might be ….?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home