Monday, July 03, 2006

Taboos- I
I'm sure many of you have experienced the same: as a kid, in summer time, or whenever I had a chance to go to a river, one of things I surely did was turning over a stone to quench my curiosity "what's beneath?" I always was amazed experiencing the same; just when the waves touched it smoothly, and the stone seemed to be so silently sitting there revealing nothing, as soon as it began to roll aside, 'the beneath' began to show up. There were small ants, tiny creatures which I didn't know the names (still don't know now!) rushing hither and thither, worms curling themselves, waking up to the unexpected visitor or may be shocked by the sunlight showering on them. There was a life beneath the stone, a rich, unknown, hidden and mysterious life. Thinking about my people, I recall the same feeling; the words also apply to my society.

The similar feelings comp up in me when at nights, I look at the thousands lights lit afar, the car lights moving hurriedly in the distance, and the lamp posts glittering hazy, I always think with myself:" How many stories are going on there; behind these closed windows, these fallen curtains, shut doors?" I don't know why, but I usually think many of them are not that happy.

My society is through a transient period- going from the past and the old toward the new. The movement has begun some hundred years ago, has experienced ups and downs, has progressed and retreated sometimes, but has been constantly pushing forward. That's the reason in the country of 70 millions, you can experience odds. Whatever we might be, we are not a unanimous society. You don't need to dig deep or to go too far to meet people who believe in the same standards the people of centuries ago believed and on the opposite side to meet the people who are quite modern, progressive and tuned to the newest standards, life style and mentality. To investigate more, you will meet many many who are in between; fluctuating from this front to that front, sharing and opposing ideas of both, swaying back and forth, grabbing this and refusing it at the same time. Yes, we live in the society of strange phenomena, contradicted sides, in an absolute paradox. Any attempt to simplify it, to make a black and white picture out of it, results to an unreal fake image.

It the following posts, I'll try to speak about some issues which do exist but ignored to be talked about, the things that we are raised up to, are injected into our heads, have deep roots in our souls, can't be washed away or forgotten easily and are rarely dared to be touched. Well, that's the definition of taboos- I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home