Saturday, May 13, 2006

Walking right on a two-edged sword

When in 2003, the US and Britain invaded Iraq, many applauded for them here in Iran. I could hear very repeatedly: " Ah, Iraqis have pushed themselves in the line just before us, when actually it was our turn to have the Americans here." As usual, there were jokes roaming and short messages rambling on the cell phones repeating the same words. To me, the story was totally different. Well, I am not young any more and have seen many things with my own eyes and have read a lot about what the US had done here and there in the world claiming the support for Democracy and Freedom. Also I am not that old to forget that all. If I am younger than experiencing the 1953 coup led by CIA against the national government of Dr Mohammad Mosaddeq in Iran, I was mature enough to remember the Chilean coup against Dr Allende in 1973- ironically on another Sep 11. Then I remember the story of Panama and arresting the legitimate government of Noriega. I also remember toppling Maurice Bishop in Granada and killing him. One of the very bitter stories which my teen years passed through, was what the US did in Nicaragua and the savage brutality of Contras whom Mr Reagan used to call Freedom fighters against Nicaraguan people. The contras set the villages to fire, raped women, slaughtered the villagers just because they were supporting the Sandinistas. These stories are carved in the recent history of the world if we don't mention Viet Nam war and the killings and the genocide that the American soldiers did there.
Many who supported the US invading Iraq had reasons to tell. The very shocking thing I witnessed those days was that even some Iranian leftists backed this idea. They said: " So, it's better to have a tyranny like Saddam in power killing and torturing the people?". I remember that even one of them wrote an article in a well-known online Persian magazine trying to theorize this idea telling something like this: we should revise our theories of the Americans' role in today's fight for freedom and democracy. Those days, the cries of the people like me who were strongly against the invasion could reach nowhere. I could see how dangerous can be the decisions of a nation when made in despair. When the people feel hopeless of making any changes by themselves, then they may look outside for help.
Well, the time passed and the mess in Iraq and Afghanistan cured the hallucinations of those who were that naïve to think that Americans have come here to spend millions of dollars and get their soldiers killed just for us to have Democracy and Freedom in beautiful golden boxes.

So, this is the story of us who are demanding social justice, democracy and freedom. When we are trying to fight against all the injustice and suppression we face here, in the same time we want it to be done by us and by our own hands. I myself never have believed that the US has done any good to us, but still if I was that simple-minded to believe this big lie, I would have preferred to settle the quarrels inside the home just by its residents.
So, I would love that Americans could know that if we are against the system here, it never means that we are going to welcome them and spread red carpet for them if they invade us. To me, like millions of Iranians, the national sovereignty is the first and the most important thing to care about. So, any threat from outside surely would rise a strong resistance here. Iran is an ancient country having deep roots in the history with a population of 70 millions. Americans can not swallow us easily. If they doubt this and believe the big lies of monarchists in LA, then they can come and see for themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home