Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The sad time
I am very very sad these days. So sad, I haven't been for years.
I am stuck to the TV and to my computer screen to follow the news about Lebanon. I steal from the time I should work and I read and I listen and my heart bleeds from anger, rage and sorrow.
In the news I see the South of Lebanon and I hear the familiar names of the rivers, of the villages, of the cities and they all give life to the memories I picked up there a couple of years ago. I can't believe all those beauties, those amazing people are under the threats of pain and death now. Once we were in a small hotel in a small town. After doing the routines of registering the names and showing the passports, they invited us to an 'Ahlan wa Sahlan Shai', the tea they serve for the welcomed guest. Where are those nice and warm people now? Alive? Dead? Fled? To where? How when the roads are hit, the bridges are hit? The very villages we visited in the South, Litani river which we took a rest beside, the bridge over it which we passed through, all are ruined by bombs and I feel very very sad because of it. Have they bombed Alkhiam concentration camp too? All those solitary confinements which SLA kept the militants for long years in bat-loved small dungeons? The torture chamber is collapsed too? What about the one in the corner where they kept Soha Beshara for 10 years in?
I see Beirut's nights lit with the fire of blasts and I feel paralyzed. The apartments raised high beside the narrow streets are ruined to rubbles. And I see in the pictures, the people are walking hurriedly with sadness and despair in face.

This nation was just about to come out from the ashes of the civil war and long years of occupation when this all resumed. The buildings were still under reconstruction when we visited them, when we walked through the streets. They still had the signs of the previous wars and yet again they are under air raids. How can I believe that all of them are smashed again? How many times a nation can collect her strength and rise up? It's pretty difficult- if not impossible. But I'm sure they would.

Israel -as usual- has taken the whole nation of Lebanon as hostage. Israel wants them to eliminate Hizballah, because Israel doesn't want it to exist any more. So, they are giving lessons to Lebanese people by bomb blasts and air raids:" You will wipe them off, or we will wipe off you all!"

I have been trying to call friends in Beirut. A couple of nights ago I spoke to one of them. They are all ok. But today when I tried once more, I couldn't get any of them. I read in Lebanese blogs that the people are pushing toward north to take refuge in the mountains. I don't know how long those places would be safe. Two nights ago they bombed Tripoli. They may even go farther. Ah, I imagine myself instead of them, the Lebanese people, and I feel that I love to die; Going where? Doing what? How long? And then, to do what?

The thing that horrifies me is the near future. I'm afraid that the fire may extend to other countries, to Syria and to Iran. On BBC news and on CNN, the number of the times they repeat our name and Syrians' is increasing hour by hour. (On an Israeli blog I read that BBC is against Israel!!!) I don't think that would be without any intentions. Israelis have given us a new nickname:" Axis of terror!" I hope they won't forget that Iran is not a small piece of land to be smashed without trouble and our 70 millions of people are not easy to be swallowed up. The situation is really shaky and the mad dog is chewing the chains. And look what Bush does: outrageously applauses and gives courage to IDF to push on and to kill more.

They brag about their Democracy and I want to turn my stomach back. Democracy? How a country can call herself a Democracy when she occupies and steals others' lands? When she suffocates the people's in their cold blood and of starving and diseases? Is this the Democracy they are giving us promises about? They want to prescribe the same for us? We don't want it!

7 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Laila,

Reading your posts made me understand that you must be a very brave woman. It would be my honor if you are willing to communicate here with me, a guy from the "other side", from Tel-Aviv.

As a start I'd like to apologies for some of my brothers and sisters being rude and arrogant. Sometimes I fined myself disgust from their behavior. Still, as much as it is hard for you to believe most of the Israelis are peace seekers people. It is just that like in any place you hear mostly the ones who are not.

Please believe me that as much as you scared of a war, we do. Furthermore, we are not holy, but in our understanding we did many steps towards peace in the last years. I am sure that we didn't do enough. Still, we gave 100% of Sinai to Egypt in return of a peace agreement. We made a peace agreement with Jordan. We have left Lebanon 6 years ago (and not due to the Hezbollah as claimed by that organization), and we left 100% of Gaza strip. I know that we need to do more, and we will do more. Mr. Olmert was elected because he was promising us a full retreat of the West Bank as well.

Unfortunately some of the last events didn't help the peace seekers in Israel at all. The president of Iran Mr. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was declaring hat his desire is to eliminate Israel, and at the same time Iran is developing nuclear weapons. 3 Israelis soldiers were kidnapping from the state of Israel by Hamas and Hezbollah, more than a dozen were killed. Missiles were shut from Lebanon towards the cities of Israel killing many citizens. Unfortunately, the people of Lebanon (the weakest state in the neighborhood) are suffering now. Life is not fair. We in Israel are suffering too from missiles that kill here many people.

Now, there are voices in Israel claims for attacking Syria and Iran before Iran will attack as with nuclear weapon. That will lead us to a war with thousands of victims. God help us.

I really hope for all of us that this process will change direction.

What do you think? What can be done to continue the peace process?

Good Day,
Lot, Israel.

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear leila,

I read this article and wonder if it is really true.
"Political prisoners condemn Shirin Ebadi"

http://www.iranpressnews.com/english/source/011128.html

thanks a lot.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Laila said...

Thank you for the comment and for the compliments (all compliments are positively exaggerations, aren't they? :) )
Of course I know that there ARE people in Israel who love peace and I would love to know about them more in details; what percentage of the population backs them? What they are doing? What's their analysis about the current condition? etc…
Lately I have been reading about Palestinian- Israeli dilemma. As a leftist, I have always been supporting Palestinians of course. But just to try to have a better view of the situation, I have begun reading books about Israelis, their thoughts and mentality. One of the latest is 'Occupied Mind'. Well, I have to confess that reading the interviews, made me feel horrible. The fear trapped in Israeli people, the paranoia they are suffering from and the arrogance believing deep in their minds their Arab neighbors are sub-human in a way, shocked me. Of course nowhere in the book it is mentioned this explicitly, but I remember an Iranian born Jewish lawyer even denied any identity as 'Palestinian'. She preferred the term 'Arab Israeli' calling them.

Ah, the story is long and I would love to discuss over it.
I would be honored too to communicate with you from another side of the wall; I am in the process of learning. Thanks for suggestion of writing mails. This is my email:

Khosravi.leila AT SIGN gmail.com

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Laila said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Laila said...

Dear Moorche,

I have no idea about this letter. Better to say, I hadn't seen it before anywhere.

Something is for sure; Ms Ebadi's latest stances against any probable military actions against Iran, has urged anger among some circles who believe that no option should be put aside.
Besides, I would love to add, for judging her, we never should forget that she can not do miracles. The poor girl is not Massiah- as some may expect her to be.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much for your response.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home